- Drink something ice cold before running. Ice water, Iced Tea, I even read an article about how Slushies can help cool your body temperature before a run.
- Wear a tank or sleeveless shirt. Try to dress for the weather. Make sure to use sunscreen on when running. Just because you are moving, doesn’t mean you can escape the sun’s rays
- .Wear a cap. Caps will help against the sun’s rays on your head. At water stops or now and then take it off, pour water into it too cool your head down.
- Carry lots of water. Use your water to spray over your head, on the back of your neck and even on your wrists while you run.
- Freeze a water bottle to use as an ice pad while running. Use a small fuel belt bottle (8oz or so), fill with ¾ with water and freeze it. Use it to cool your body while you run. Eventually as it melts you will have cool water to put on your neck, wrist or to drink.
- If running a race and they have ice at a water stop, slow down and put some ice in a cup. You may slow down, but on long runs it might help you from overheating toward the end of the race.
- Carry a light dishtowel, soak it with water and put in inside the collar of your shirt.
- Walk. Let’s face it, not every race is going to be a personal best nor every practice run need to be fast. If you are getting hot and overheated, slow down, let your body cool and then pick up again.
Be careful about getting overheated when running (or doing anything else outside in the heat). Remember, we all like to run for the health benefits and the exercise; we don’t need to kill ourselves to get them.
Stay cool fellow runners!
DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS ON HOW YOU STAY COOL WHEN RUNNING IN THE HEAT? Leave a comment, help a fellow runner
Visit our other articles and posts